Tuesday, August 20, 2013

New Additions to the Homestead in the Suburbs...

It has been a rough couple of weeks over here! It started with plumbing problems that stymied us for days, until, through sheer will and tenacity, my sweet husband was finally able to get us back on track and draining properly.

Then, my quail hatch did not go as planned. When my young Showgirl pullet, Liza, became broody, I tried to break her bad habit. Instead the broodiness spread to her mama, my darling Silkie, Elsa. For some reason I thought it would be a great idea to stick some of my quails' fertile eggs under them. If they're going to be parked on the nest all dang day they might as well be doing something, right? Wrong. Turns out Liza is not the "Mother Hen" that Elsa is, because she killed the hatchlings.  I managed to save two chicks and set them up in their own cage and they are doing fine.

A few days later, our washing machine suddenly croaked. Eesh. No wonder I haven't had time to do anything fun and creative.

Here are some quail chick pix and a short video for your amusement.

taking shelter under Mama


two lucky chicks
taken right before Liza pecked that chick. she was immediately removed.

















No comments:

Post a Comment