Monday, June 17, 2013

Procrastinators Unite! maybe tomorrow...

Most of our failures come not from trying, but from failing to try. I am a big time procrastinator. I'd have to say it is my worst quality, the one that most holds me back from being as awesome as I can be. Not clinically diagnosed as ADD or ADHD, I am am very easily distracted. It does not help that I (consciously or unconsciously) surround myself with distractions. "I want to do this but first I must do that, and I can't do that until I finish such and such, and I'm waiting to finish such and such because blah blah blah…" It's a never ending and very vicious circle spinning me round and round.

Sometimes, my procrastination is due to fear of failure. For example, I procrastinated for almost 2 decades before I took the leap and tried sprouting mung beans. In fact, every year it is my wish to have a proper veggie garden, but every year I put it off because I just know it is going to end badly. Because I suck at gardening, and also I am at war with squirrels. Wasting a little time and a few craft supplies is an annoyance, but going out to the yard and finding the plants that you sprouted from seed and so lovingly cared for have been decimated is heartbreaking. So every year I settle for a lame container garden on my deck, safely out of the field of battle, where I normally produce a handful of tiny tomatoes and a couple of peppers that are too hot for me to even eat. This year, I have grown four green beans.

My husband eats yogurt every day, so making home made yogurt has been on my list for quite a while (almost as long as bean sprouts) but for some reason I am really intimidated by it. I read "Make the Bread, Buy the Butter" by Jennifer Reese (amazing book by the way, I even bought it which is something I rarely do), and she makes it seem so easy and so awesome, I felt I just had to give it a shot. I gathered up all the ingredients, the milk, some organic yogurt for the starter, got some frozen berries, but I just couldn't take the next step. There was always some excuse not to make yogurt that day, maybe tomorrow. Day after day after day, I put it off. A few days ago, I got a letter from Costco informing me that they were recalling the berries I had purchased for the yogurt due to a hepatitis outbreak. If I had not procrastinated, if I had made had made yogurt, my poor husband would have eaten the tainted berries, possibly contracting HepA and definitely getting a immune globulin shot. Finally, my procrastination pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment